Friday, November 25, 2011

A Very Happy Birthday!

   I woke up Wednesday morning to pancakes in bed and my lovely lady friend singing Happy Birthday to me.  I should give credit to my mom and say that my first wake up was a Happy Birthday song phone call at 6am.  Coffee was waiting and music was playing, and my Danish host families had all wished me a Happy Birthday on good 'ole Facebook.  After waking up a bit we started a wonderful dance party in the living room while it drizzled a rain that was slightly less cold than the day before.  Borrowed Maggie's car for work while I blasted to more dancable music on my way to work.  I made my rounds of hellos to teachers and was surprised by a very large birthday doughnut.  No thank you, Mrs. Eggleston, not until I work through the sugar from those pancakes.  Walk to my desk to discover a huge box of chocolates on my desk and a poster sized birthday card, signed by students, hanging on the wall.  Not more sugar!  But, thank you very much, socially awkward custodian, Jim. 
I know, its spelled wrong
   I love working in a school because you get so many Birthday wishes!  But trying to work with a group of kindergartners on the last day of school before break while I am distracted by the fun that lay ahead...not a good mix.  Although I was able to guilt-trip them into being nice by telling them they had to be nice on my birthday.  Then I discovered the monstrously sizes chocolate cake waiting for me in the staff room.  Ahhhh!!  Calm yourself, belly, we will find real food first.
   I was told I had to wait 15 minutes before going to my next classroom (gee, I wonder whats goin' down), so I played some computer games instead.  As I walked into said classroom I see the students all quietly doing there work, nothing amiss, until I notice the confetti covering the floor right in front of me.  My curiosity tells me to look up, and what should catch my eye?  A paper package, which my intuition is telling me has been filled with some surprise confetti, attached to a string heading towards the side of the door, held by the hand of a student...oh Matthew.  I gather my courage and take a step forward, awaiting the shower of hole-punch confetti, and all the kids yell "Surprise!" before bombarding me with quickly made birthday cards.  "Here, here, take mine!" I would, friends, but the glue is still drying and I am not letting go of the coffee.  They kindly placed them on a table instead and waited as I opened each and every one of them.  As I read the cards (you guys are awesome) they started shoving cookies in my face and telling me that they weren't allowed to eat theirs until I took the first bite...but I'm still suffering from my birthday doughnut! 
Little Bro
   I managed to survive the day until about 3pm during a meeting with my site supervisors and my WRC supervisor.  I finally had a piece of cake, then ran to hang out with a student during his 10 minutes of earned free time, only to make the dreadful mistake of letting him spin me in a swing.  The cake has not looked the same since (thankfully I did not puke).  After the meeting that took forever, I went to pick up my "Little Brother" (Big Brothers Big Sisters style) for a birthday dinner at Vic's Pizza.  I had to stop for some mint tea to calm my tummy first, and it worked.  Little Man gave me a bag filled with super random gifts, and was so happy to hang out for my birthday.  Love that guy.
     The day ended with adult beverages at my favorite establishment, the East Side Tavern, with my wonderful AmeriCorps friends and sister in tow.  A fun way to end one of the best birthdays ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment