Saturday, June 29, 2013

I'm a Scow Girl!

Well, friends...I am here. I am living on a scow for the next sixish weeks and sharing a small space with two other amazing hard-working ladies. I keep asking myself, "how did I get here?" and am continually thankful for the chance to be in this wilderness. We towed out yesterday and anchored in to a tiny little cove on Chichagof Island. For anyone interested, it's about half way between Mite Cove and Soapstone Cove on the Lisianski Strait. I am a stone's throw from a pretty little beach and I see mountains from the window by my bed. I'm starting to get used to the fact that I see jelly fish, sea otters, sea lions, and a multitude of bald eagles on a regular basis. Even big old brown bears are a fairly common occurance...which had me singing whatever song I knew as we went onshore to set up the waterline. Basically, I'm in a little bit if heaven. Hopefully I can keep that attitude when the work gets going. Hell...I will be hoping to find time to eat at that point. My appetite has been ferocious from being on my feet all day. Luckily, I'm not the only one aboard who needs to snack every 30 minutes.
Well, I should get back to cleaning and prepping for the opening of King Salmon season. I'm not sure how much I don't know yet...but I've learned a few things to help me along the way. The next few days will be a nice crash course. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment