Saturday, June 29, 2013

An Adventure in Waiting

I'm sitting in my bed looking out the window at the wonderful scenery that is my back yard. It's another day of waiting and eating to pass the time until fishing boats come in. The king salmon season opens today, which means all the boats are out fishing. As each day passes, I find myself falling more and more in love with Alaska and living on a boat. There are humpback whales in my yard, sea lions that pop up to say hello, and a culture that I am eager to learn more about. A culture that I have been warned about in terms of the hellish work...work I have yet to fully experience. It has been a slow start and I fill the days with learning knots, playing guitar, reading, and trying to figure out how to identify five different types of salmon. Oh, and eating. My body has been preparing for the amount of work I'm getting into, always telling me eat, eat, eat. So now, I have calories to burn and cabin fever driving my anticipation to start. That and I just want to get hell started so I can begin to fall in love with this place all over again. For now, I'll sit comfortably in my dream vacation and watch the rain fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment