Saturday, June 22, 2013

Misadventures to Begin Summer

Well world, I have officially completed my first year of graduate school.  I’m not sure how I did it…I am even having a hard time believing that it has already been 9 months since I started this adventure.  But I somehow find myself on the other side after a whirlwind writing frenzy (18 pages in 72 hours).  Hell, looking back, I’m happy that my only real challenge this quarter was battling the consequences of my procrastination.  There was a point in January where I almost walked away from school to pull myself together.  Then I looked around at my cohort and realized I had to stay, because stepping back for a breather would mean leaving the support I needed the most.  It meant that a year and a half down the line, I would be graduating with a whole new cohort.  So…I stayed.  And that group helped me reach a point where my greatest challenge became writing papers.  Which made me lose my mind in a much more welcome manner.

Yup...I was here. No...I didn't take this picture

Before I had time to gather my wits I was busy packing for a camping and climbing adventure at Smith Rock State Park in Oregon with Emily and her brother, Ryan.  Had I ever been sport climbing? Nope. Was I ready to test myself and live a little? Always. Game on!  Step one: begin the five hour drive south to Portland.  Step two: take a break for a quick reminder on how to drive stick shift.  Step three: pass out with the wonderful realization that I have no expectations to wake up to in the morning! Step four: eat a delicious brunch before jumping on the road for another 3 hours to reach our destination. Step five: postpone setting up camp because we are running out of daylight and itching to climb. Cue Syd's first experience in sport climbing...and the beginning of a new love. After successfully climbing a couple routes I found myself hanging out just a little bit past my comfort zone, ready for a good meal of camp curry, a good night's sleep, and two more days full of pushing boundaries. 

My first lead!
First up, start the day with a 5.9 climb.  After struggling through the first 15 feet, I began trusting my equipment, my belayer, and myself.  Reaching the top provided an appreciation for all the hard work I have put my body through over the past couple of months and a healthy dose of pride in what I can accomplish.  The next couple of climbs continued to push me further and further...all the while keeping a big fat grin on my face.  The battle wounds just made me feel a little more bad ass.  Which was nothing compared to being given the opportunity to lead my first route. After watching Emily and Ryan create route after route for me to explore, I was anxious to try it myself.  And I will say this.  I have deep respect for anyone who does a free solo climb.  Even though I was on a 5.5 (one which would be no problem any other time) I found myself second guessing every hold and step.  If I slipped 7' up from my last clip, I've got about 15' to go before I hit rock.  No thanks...I'll just hold on a little bit tighter.  After getting the route set up and getting my feet safely back to ground, I was overwhelmed with a huge sense of accomplishment, which was shared by a smile and congratulations from Emily.  I did it!

After a long day in the sun, we made our way to Bend, Oregon for some delicious grilled salmon and wonderful company before making the long drive back to Portland.  Full bellies and a day of pushing limits in the high desert make for a tiring drive at 10pm.  Our solution?  Dance party!  Until my co-pilot succumbed to her exhaustion and I was left in charge of the music and getting us to a cozy bed.  Only to wake up and spend another 6 hours in the car to complete our journey.  And I will say this...anyone who survives that much time in a car with me deserves an award.  So, Emily, I send you an internet high-five for such a feat.  Thank you for a wonderful adventure,

No comments:

Post a Comment