Monday, June 24, 2013

Syd the Kid Heads to the Last Frontier

For the second time in two weeks I find myself shocked at how quickly time has passed.  I am currently sitting on a ferry, going along the Alaska Marine Highway, starting my journey to Pelican. What is in Pelican?  Well, besides another adventure...the most physically demanding job I ever expect to have.  Let's start from the beginning. 

Back in January, I had decided that I was getting out of Washington for the summer and was determined to work in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota.  This is a place I spent a few weeks in every summer growing up, yet never got to chance to fully explore.  Now was my chance.  So, I sent some e-mails, filled out a couple of applications, and considered myself blessed when I received a call for an interview.  After nearly two months of phone tag, I accepted the fact that I was staying in Bellingham...luckily filled with new friends and plans for adventures.  I was still faced with the daunting task of finding work in order to make this fiscally manageable.  The first two opportunities fell into my lap rather nicely, but were not gonna hack it when it came to paying bills.  I knew I needed a third, but, in typically Syd fashion, I waited...and waited...and waited...

Until, one day I was approached by a woman who was a year ahead of me in my program. What were my plans for the summer? Where was I going to be? Oh, you need a job? I know of one, but its not in Bellingham.  And I proceeded to do a little happy dance with a not so little happy face.  Why?  Because this woman, Deb, owns a scow in Alaska. My hoped for escape and guaranteed adventure found me.

Now, to find out what exactly I was getting myself into.  So, I asked, and was told this.  My body was going to hurt more than it ever had, I would question my sanity and quite possibly regret my choice in going up there, I would be mentally and physically exhausted, and (my personal favorite) there would be mornings when I wake up, look down, and think to myself, "whose arms are in my bed."  I did question my sanity...but only because I realized that hearing this created a growing sense of excitement and a voice that yelled, "challenge accepted!"

And here I am.  Making my way north to work, sleep, and eat on a boat with three other woman who will teach me how to throw fish for six weeks.  I am not fully sure what to expect other than exhaustion and beautiful scenery...but I am excited by this mystery because I know that I can succeed, excel, and grow from it.  I am equipped with my brand new bib overalls, x-tra tuff boots, stronger arms (from the massive amounts of push-ups I have done to battle the numb arms), and a sense of pride in my continued ability to test my comfort zone to find another side of life.
So, here I go into the wilderness.  I will update with small posts when possible, but don't hesitate to write and ask what I've learned...because I know it will be a lot.  I hope to find a little more of myself out there.  Game on, Alaska!


Ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment